Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Spam Thread!
Can you get the CPU/SOC info for your device, Wade? Was wondering as to what chipset your Android stick runs on, well since some of my forum mates and I at a forum dedicated to off-brand or obscure tabs have been messing around with such hardware.
[Image: pvi1xp-6.png]
[Image: bpawh5-6.png]
huckleberrypie Wrote:Can you get the CPU/SOC info for your device, Wade? Was wondering as to what chipset your Android stick runs on, well since some of my forum mates and I at a forum dedicated to off-brand or obscure tabs have been messing around with such hardware.
Here you go! Smile

[Image: Screenshot_2014-07-21-16-44-47.png]

[Image: Screenshot_2014-07-21-16-56-00.png]

No system info program I used actually gave me the CPU model number, but it does give me who made the CPU... WonderMedia, one of the go-to companies if you want to make a low-end Android device.

These screenshots are best viewed zoomed in, and in the second screenshot, I used the Android easter egg to uncover the closest I could get to a device ID. It's under Model Number.

Here is an excellent forum thread where people have already found a working custom ROM for this device and from what I read there, it appears to use a WM8850 CPU, which is a common CPU in many low end Android devices that don't use Rockchip or Allwinner SoCs.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2187502">http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2187502</a><!-- m -->
I love foxes, especially the one in my avatar.
Anyone here playing Clash of Clans?
The Best Medicine > Magic. Because SCIENCE! can prove the former.
I like Hazel, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. (that's a mouthful) She is far better than all the other Android tablets I had before her. Loaded with features like Bluetooth, GPS, and Wifi, she fits my needs well.

However, I noticed that lately, the latest versions of some apps like Angry Birds seem to stutter a bit. I could imagine since Angry Birds has become such a large app with all the new features and powerups and whatnot, but it also seems to happen when I wake her up. The lock screen seems to take about two or three seconds to become responsive, and I haven't really run any memory intensive apps.

The GT2 was released on 2012, and I bought Hazel last year when the local ShopKo had them on clearance, presumably to make way for the GT3.

I noticed that tablets tend to need upgrading a lot faster than PCs. I know David had to upgrade to a newer iPad after the first one was starting to become slow and newer apps were dropping support for the iPad v1. Even Apple dropped support for it after two or three years.

Do tablets need to be upgraded more often than PCs do?
RAMChYLD Wrote:Anyone here playing Clash of Clans?
I don't. On mobile I play Brave Frontier and sometimes LINE Cookie Run.

By the way, can someone tell me how to make a website? My friend wants to have one for his company (Very small company actually). He sent me this link for reference on how he wants it to be made
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.aasda-architects.com/index.php">http://www.aasda-architects.com/index.php</a><!-- m -->

In my opinion it's not really well-made, but at least tell me what I need to make such website. Thanks.
[Image: TheGrapesChildrenSig.png]
cpd2009 Wrote:
huckleberrypie Wrote:Can you get the CPU/SOC info for your device, Wade? Was wondering as to what chipset your Android stick runs on, well since some of my forum mates and I at a forum dedicated to off-brand or obscure tabs have been messing around with such hardware.
Here you go! Smile

[Image: Screenshot_2014-07-21-16-44-47.png]

[Image: Screenshot_2014-07-21-16-56-00.png]

No system info program I used actually gave me the CPU model number, but it does give me who made the CPU... WonderMedia, one of the go-to companies if you want to make a low-end Android device.

These screenshots are best viewed zoomed in, and in the second screenshot, I used the Android easter egg to uncover the closest I could get to a device ID. It's under Model Number.

Here is an excellent forum thread where people have already found a working custom ROM for this device and from what I read there, it appears to use a WM8850 CPU, which is a common CPU in many low end Android devices that don't use Rockchip or Allwinner SoCs.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2187502">http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2187502</a><!-- m -->
You should try CPU-Z as well just to make sure. I've seen and read about WonderMedia SOCs too. What's lulzy was that tablets running on WM8880s are usually pre-rooted, which can be disabled or enabled via the settings application.

And yeah, VIA's WM division is the way to go if you want to come up with a tab pronto. They'll take care of most of the dirty work by giving you a turnkey reference, while you're in charge of customising and marketing it. To quote Mediatek, “We supply beef, they create the dish.”
huckleberrypie Wrote:You should try CPU-Z as well just to make sure. I've seen and read about WonderMedia SOCs too. What's lulzy was that tablets running on WM8880s are usually pre-rooted, which can be disabled or enabled via the settings application.

And yeah, VIA's WM division is the way to go if you want to come up with a tab pronto. They'll take care of most of the dirty work by giving you a turnkey reference, while you're in charge of customising and marketing it. To quote Mediatek, “We supply beef, they create the dish.”
CPU-Z only reports back "ARM Cortex-A9". No vendor of CPU is displayed at all. Like SystemInfo pro, it lists the manufacturer of the device as WonderMedia. I guess the people who made the Android ROM did their best to hide the identity of the CPU.

There is a plan B. I have my old Android stick laying around. Perhaps I can actually crack that one open and look at the CPU itself, if I can get it open that is. There are no screws on the device, and getting it open might be tricky.
[Image: 20140721_175601.jpg]
First late night bug hunt brought me four giant beetles, a rainbow stag, and two lantern moths. Total sale was 53,600 Bells. Funds went to my mortgage.

[Image: 20140722_173643.jpg]
Second late night bug hunt brought me four rainbow stags, two giant beetles, an emperor butterfly, and one oak silk moth. Total sale was 63,700 Bells. Funds went to my savings account, as I need at least 1,600,000 Bells to purchase the Sweets Set from GracieGrace next month.

I wonder why the rare bugs are showing up all of a sudden. It must be luck, or perfect timing. I will go on another late night bug hunt tonight.

I would have got screenshots from the game itself, but ACCF doesn't recognize SD Cards above 2gb (Elsie has a 4gb card), so I had to take screenshots direct from Nanouk. I also found out Hazel's camera works great with Nanouk and CRTs in general. Essentially no flicker at all.
cpd2009 Wrote:CPU-Z only reports back "ARM Cortex-A9". No vendor of CPU is displayed at all. Like SystemInfo pro, it lists the manufacturer of the device as WonderMedia. I guess the people who made the Android ROM did their best to hide the identity of the CPU.

There is a plan B. I have my old Android stick laying around. Perhaps I can actually crack that one open and look at the CPU itself, if I can get it open that is. There are no screws on the device, and getting it open might be tricky.

That's not very nice of them to do that... What about CPU/RAM/DEVICE Identifier? Interface looks a tad too tacky for my tastes, and it didn't help that the app's author stopped development of it due to health issues, but it should ID your device's SOC if CPU-Z doesn't work on your end.
huckleberrypie Wrote:That's not very nice of them to do that... What about CPU/RAM/DEVICE Identifier? Interface looks a tad too tacky for my tastes, and it didn't help that the app's author stopped development of it due to health issues, but it should ID your device's SOC if CPU-Z doesn't work on your end.

I looked for it, and Amazon AppStore doesn't have it.

Yep... the Android stick doesn't have Google Play... only the other Google Apps like Maps and YouTube. Since I don't plan on rooting my current Android stick, I guess I will just have to find a way to crack the other one open and get the CPU that way. I may very well destroy the old one in doing so though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »