Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite/Least Favorite Character Thread
Any show-centered forum must have this kind of thread, right? Let's begin.

1. Strawberry Shortcake
The title character of course. She's just so cute and charming, not to mention that her attitude is nearly... perfect. She can be too trusting at times, which makes her pretty gullible, but this trait is what makes her have many friends.

2. Peppermint Fizz
The anti hero of the show. Cunning, manipulative, and has difficult times accepting something new, yet she has the charm to deeply draw my interest. Her rather simple clothing and hairstyle also makes her look modest compared to some other characters.

3. Raspberry Torte
I like her mainly because of her sporty clothing and incredibly long hair. Her similar attitude with Peppermint can also be an additional factor.

4. Sour Grapes
Opposite of Peppermint. She's the anti villain of the show. Her looks and attitude was nothing special at first for me, but thanks to someone in this forum I learned about the depths of this character and I started to like her more. Now here she is, within the top 5 of my list. Big Grin

5. Ginger Snap
Throughout my life of reading comics or watching shows, I always like characters with invention abilities. Compared to other inventor characters from other shows/comics, Ginger Snap is pretty inferior, but she has shown more than enough for me to like her.

As for the other side of the list, there are indeed a few I don't really like.

3. The Dog Catcher
This minor character who appears only in one episode, two if you count his 'twin brother' appearing in another episode, actually does not have anything which annoys me. It's just that I have a bad experience in real life which left a bad taste in the mouth, and ever since then I always grow some hatred towards anyone who is fat and grows thick moustache.

2. Angel Cake
Her attitude is kinda annoying. Pretty ironic to her name. I know she has her good side, but her annoying side quite overpowers the other.

1. Licorice Whip
True villain. Enough said.

This isn't really related, but I'd like to mention fan characters as well here (Each name can be clicked to see a picture of him/her):

1. Peach Streusel
She's as active and unable to sit still as Huck, and she's unique in a way that she's the only Strawberryland kid who wears shorts as regular outfit even in winter.

2. Blackberry Bun
Yeah, that's me lol. I like him because... he's me and I'm him. :mrgreen:

3. Pomegranate Parfait
She's pretty much the Peppermint Fizz of the future, and I like her for quite the same reason.
[Image: TheGrapesChildrenSig.png]
Three Things

1. Thank you.

2. Oh, I had forgotten all about your bias! You're biased against exactly the types of men who I am most attracted to, as far as physical appearance goes! I know, I have a strange heart. James is extremely nice, I promise! He is the nicest man I know, to me, though I guess I'm stating the obvious since I'm his wife.

3. Pomegranate has one major virtue that Peppermint lacked. Unlike Peppermint, Pomegranate wouldn't try to push people away for their differences.

~

Oh yeah, I should make my own list. Eh, I will later.
My top 3 are as followed:

1. Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry Shortcake is a character who most could say she is perfect. Wether or not that's a case, she's a role model for me in real life.. and the type of person I strive to be. Her and Colette Brunel from Tales of Symphonia are the only characters who have hit that role model status, so she's very special to me. So she easily wins this list.

2. Apple Dumpling

She's just so cute, which is the first reason she's put on this.. but no, she has that "I'm going to try my best" attitude that I just always love in a character.. and I'm Not So Little is a song I like to sing to make people laugh. They think it's so ironically adorable when I sing it.

3. Lemon Meringue

Lemon is really cute too, a real sweetheart. She may not really catch on real quick, nor really know all of what's completely going on.. but the way she talks and her vibe and me always really get along. She's a sweetie.

(4th is Orange Blossom and 5th is Peppermint Fizz.)

(My favorite pet is Apple Ducklin!)

My Bottom 3 are as followed:

3. The Crows

I don't remember their name, but those crows are so annoying. Tongue

2. Huckleberry Pie

I'm so sorry Huck fans, I really just can't get into his personality. I do like some male personalities, don't get me wrong. I like plenty of boys, but I find his so stereotypical is uninteresting and not very much is done to try to make him an interesting character.

1. Honey Pie

I have a feeling that I should say sorry for this one too, but everything about this pony is annoying to me. I really have trouble watching some of the early episodes, she's just like.. she just is annoying. Part of me understands she's supposed to be, but I wish she was annoying in a funny way. I feel like they tried to do that. But it doesn't click with me. Sorry again!
It's fun to say berry! I berry talk all the day through!
The Berry Birds didn't have names, Angel. In the first version, one was named Captain Cackle.

~

I don't want to do this. :lol: I don't know why, likely because I feel like my list is odd. As a warning, all that I'm saying I am thinking to say as I go along.

1. Sour Grapes

In my opinion, she is the most complicated character of the series. In everyone's opinion, she is the most grey-area character of the series. I prefer anti-villains to anti-heroes because they come across as more sympathetic to me, for their lives to have gone so badly that they are resigned to being villains. Sour Grapes is several things, at her core both a (physically grownup) little girl and a mother figure. She has her weaknesses, weaknesses that most adult characters in children's shows don't have. She also has an array of strengths, and she is portrayed as a unique sort of guide, for lack of a better word, when she is doing the right thing. Her main neutral trait is simple loyalty, which must have its roots in love. Everything adds up to a character that I am very appreciative of, for she is very relatable to me. I am happily amazed, because American Greetings was nice to her. My favorite characters in most media are usually treated badly by their creators.

2. The Peculiar Purple Pie Man of Porcupine Peak

As with Sour Grapes, I like characters who are villains while having more depth to them than simple villainy. Pie Man hides his depth more and cares about other people less than does his sister. He is harsher, more stubborn, and prone to pushing around the one human who is devoted to him. Regardless of those last two sentences, though, he is really just a confused soul who wants his chance to live his dreams. He does care about his sister, underneath it all, and he is so human in ways I find adorable. (I think it's cute when he blushes, stutters, yelps, asks what he did wrong, etc.) Also, as with Sour Grapes, he is of course an unusual character. He is a great deal like my own soul mate brother.

While I was referring to the 2000s characters above, I'd like to say a few things more. The 1980s counterparts of the aforementioned characters are a lot of silly fun, sometimes in contrast to the 2000s more serious atmosphere between the two. My interpretation of the characters is something of a mixture, due to hints of a mixture in both versions and due to my own sibling insanity being a mixture.

3. Strawberry Shortcake

She has a winning personality, and she truly sees the best in all people and situations. To her, life is limitless and amazing. She is a hard worker in addition to being an idealist, which is the best possible combination for, so to speak, yielding good fruit. She isn't perfect. That is a good thing, as even the most idealistic are not perfect. Strawberry has feelings like anyone. She gets frustrated, anxious, and sad. However, her strong sense of hope always prevails and that is something we should all learn from.

4. Rainbow Sherbet

Rainbow Sherbet makes it this far up the list probably because I know a lot of amazing people, particularly a lot of amazing young people, who have traits of Rainbow Sherbet's! If someone other than Strawberry were the main character of the show, I think Rainbow would be the best choice. She is something of a blend between Strawberry Shortcake's idealism and the anti-villains' sensitivities. In my opinion, Rainbow is very strong in probably every way. I find her obsession with boating cute and I think her voice really captures her personality.

5. Peppermint Fizz

Peppermint, poor girl, doesn't want to be a bad kid. She is simply confused and stubborn when it comes to seeing things beyond her own opinion, and she needs to have more optimism. Her character develops nicely, and her antics almost always come across as cute.

Annie Oatmeal, Plum Puddin', and Raspberry Torte are also high up on this list. Plum and Rainbow would be in competition if Plum had more than one episode of a speaking role.

I don't have least favorites. I have characters that I am least like, not least favorites. Ginger Snap and Huckleberry Pie are the main characters I feel I am least like. That doesn't mean I dislike them in the least. Ironically, the songs "Don't Stop Now" and "Best Invention Ever" are probably among the top five series' songs I can most identify with. (This is ironic because one is a song sung to Ginger Snap and another is a song sung by Ginger Snap. I am no mechanic, though!)

Though I don't have least favorites, I do agree with folks who say that Angel Cake became less and less likable as the series progressed. Lime Light is rather dang irritating, too. Oh, goodness, now I'm imagining Grapes or Pie Man saying, "You're rather dang irritating," to Lime Light. It's funny.
Berry birds was the name I couldn't remember, and personally I actually guessed your list correctly.. though we've talked about favorite characters a lot so that might have something to do with it. ^^

I'm happy you don't think she's perfect. I don't either, but I know that she can seem that way to others. That's why I said to most would say. I'm not one of the most. ^_^
It's fun to say berry! I berry talk all the day through!
I can't make my list yet, because I've only seen a few episodes, so I couldn't get to know the characters enough, so I couldn't observe their development. Though I'd still like to mention some characters I liked for any reason, but I refuse to set up an order of preference.

Strawberry Shortcake: for her optimism.
Ginger Snap: for being so clever - she designed and built a rocket! (OK, only in her dream, but it still counts. Tongue)
Peppermint Fizz: for her pessimism.
Plum Pudding: I like how she compensates her clumsiness with her mind.

Finally, here's a story for today: I saw "Angel Cake" mentioned so many times, and I just wondered who she is. I had no idea. So I googled to get a picture of her, and I was surprised to find that she's "Karamella", and of course I know who she is. Big Grin I said that because I'm watching the series in Hungarian, sometimes it's difficult to identify a character by their English names. In most cases, however, the translation is more accurate, so I can guess well. But "Karamella" means "caramel", it has nothing to do with "angel" - maybe only with "cake" sometimes. Big Grin So I couldn't guess this time. Anyway, I always wondered why she's "Karamella", 'cause I couldn't find anything on her that looks like caramel. Well at least now I know the answer: she's not really "Caramel".
Kiwifruit Jam Wrote:Finally, here's a story for today: I saw "Angel Cake" mentioned so many times, and I just wondered who she is. I had no idea. So I googled to get a picture of her, and I was surprised to find that she's "Karamella", and of course I know who she is. Big Grin I said that because I'm watching the series in Hungarian, sometimes it's difficult to identify a character by their English names. In most cases, however, the translation is more accurate, so I can guess well. But "Karamella" means "caramel", it has nothing to do with "angel" - maybe only with "cake" sometimes. Big Grin So I couldn't guess this time. Anyway, I always wondered why she's "Karamella", 'cause I couldn't find anything on her that looks like caramel. Well at least now I know the answer: she's not really "Caramel".

That is odd. She is Angelique in the Charlotte aux Fraises dub. That dubbed name at least makes sense, even though it leaves out food altogether!
Some dubs have weird takes on the character names. Like German dub translates Strawberry's name to "Emily Erdbeer". Alright, erdbeer means strawberry, but why Emily? Just to rhyme?

Some other dubs like Dutch and Indonesia keep the original names, but sometimes the pronunciation becomes a bit awkward.
[Image: TheGrapesChildrenSig.png]
Blackberry Bun Wrote:Some dubs have weird takes on the character names. Like German dub translates Strawberry's name to "Emily Erdbeer". Alright, erdbeer means strawberry, but why Emily? Just to rhyme?

Charlotte is a random name, too.
Now I think I know more characters, and I know the ones better I've known before, still it would be unfair to rank them, because there might be some even more awesome characters I don't know yet.

For some reason I'm starting to like Ginger Snap more and more. I don't really know why, she's just so lovely. But still I don't know many characters. For example, I know who Lemon Meringue is, but I just don't know anything about her personality, because I've never seen any episodes when she had a leading role, so I would have got a chance to get to know her. Also I've read that Peppermint Fizz was such a bad kid in the earlier episodes, but I only met her in Season 4, so I wouldn't know how she was like when she was younger. She doesn't seem so bad in Season 4, though I noticed she's a bit of pessimist and egoist, but I found her likeable regardless. On that note, I especially liked her.

Now I have a question for you, please try to answer! I ask this, because you know the characters more than I. What do you think, which character would most likely invite Huckleberry Pie to a museum? Please give multiple answers, if you can, and please also give a hint why do you think of that character. As for now, I don't tell why I asked this quite random question, maybe I'll tell it later, though I'm not sure. Please just answer.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »